The "expected" answers to the poll (ie expected from one or two people at best =) were:
- Fifteen birds:
- Where are they?
- In five fir trees
- What is unusual about these birds?
- What funny little birds, they have no wings
- What shall you do with the funny little things?
- Roast 'em alive or stew 'em in a pot
- (I would also have accepted "Fry them, boil them, eat them hot" or "Bake and toast them, fry and roast 'em" :)
- What is the most likely reason that they will remain uncaught?
- Giant eagles
(As steuard pointed out once he was clued in, that last is kind of a bonus question since it's not actually part of the song.)
Clearly if that's always the first thing the phrase "fifteen birds" makes me think of, i spent way too much time watching that movie as a kid :) And probably too much time watching/listening to it on YouTube :)
The answers that everyone did come up with though were very interesting. I was wondering if anyone who didn't get the joke would suggest eating the birds, and indeed three people did come up with that idea. It's probably not an idea that i would have come up with myself in other contexts, but i wasn't at all surprised that catbird was the first one to suggest it :) (You know, she would probably do really well in an S. M. Stirling series, especially if it was the Emberverse =) kirinn and oonh definitely came up with the most unusual ideas though :)
Edit: Grrr!! Getting stuff to indent properly in LJ is a pain!!! Anyone know how to do it properly? The "blockquote" tag i used above adds extra line breaks, and the "pre" tag that i tried before that screws up the formating =P