Log in

No account? Create an account
24 February 2003 @ 03:13 pm
This is not my month for cars.

Thursday night i left work about 9 and went out to my car, and it didn't start.

Turned the key, no sound, not even an attempt to turn over, nothing. I looked in the engine, and didn't see anything wrong.

I went back into the office and looked up the address of the place i normally take my car to for checkups, and while i was doing that Morna coincidentally called so i talked to her about what had happened a little bit. Then i went back out to the car and called AAA. The tow-truck person showed up in about a half hour, though he circled twice without seeing me before he finally figured out where i was. He took a look at the engine, then asked me to try starting it, then he hit part of it with a hammer some, and asked me to try starting it again, still nothing.

He finally decided that it was the starter, and since his tow-truck wasn't big enough to haul my car, he decided we should push start it. The first attempt didn't work so well because i don't know how to pop the clutch. So for the second attempt he tried to start it while pushed. The second time didn't work, but the third time did. Then i managed to kill it shifting gears because i was so tired from pushing the car so much and was stupid =P

So we had to push start it _again_. I gave the person a $10 tip to try and make up for me screwing up like that. I then drove the car down to the autorepair place. However the autoshop didn't open till eight the next morning, and it was somewhere between 5 and 10 miles back to work. I thought about trying to call a cab, except that i don't know the number to call and didn't know where a nearby public phonebooth was so i could look it up. I also wasn't sure i wanted to deal with getting a cab ride to work, then having to get the autoshop people to give me a ride back to their place in the morning so i could give them the key.

I ended up deciding just to crash in the car. Luckily the bags of stuff from my old car were still in my new car, and in them were two t-shirts from the Rush concert, so i had something to put on top of me to keep warm. I kept waking up during the night, although i think i might have slept soldily for the last three hours.

In the morning i asked them to take a look at it, and they shuttled me back to work. They called me up a few hours later and said that the starter had gotten out of whack and needed to be "adjusted." This was good news in that it meant that instead of $250 for a new starter, i only had to pay $69 for labor. They also said my dome light (which i'd also asked them to look at) was melted, and a new one would also be $69 and would show up next week if i wanted to order it, which i said i did. The other good news was that they'd looked at the rest of the engine, and they said everything else looked good.
Current Mood: relatively happy
academicerrificmerchimerch on February 25th, 2003 11:09 am (UTC)
you poor thing! You should make the used car place that sold it to you pay for the repairs